As we head into fall, construction continues at an excellent pace. If you compare the picture above with the model in the Denver VAMC main atrium, they’re starting to match up. Overall, we’re now just slightly past 30% complete.
And some other good news - Celeste Davis Stragand (the Public Information Officer for Kiewit-Turner) is back to work! Please give her a week to get up to speed before you start bombarding her with questions…
· Out of the approx. 105,434 cubic yards of structural concrete needed to complete the project, to date we have poured about 55,000 cubic yards (or about 52%.)
· With the completion of excavation of the VA Research Center we’ve working hard on putting in piers, and have started putting in the elevator cores.
· The work on the Concourse continues at an excellent pace, with structural steel and slab-on-metal-deck installation at 55% complete.
· Clinic Building North has it’s pier caps, underground piping and foundations in-progress.
· The Visitor South Parking Structure waterproofing & mat slab are also in-progress.
We’re putting the final exterior details on the Golden Clinic, to include the VA Seal you see in the picture above. The week of Nov 18th, we’ll be meeting with the Jefferson County VSO and other County Government staff about the clinic’s impact on local Veterans, to include transportation and other important logistical details.
We are currently planning to open this facility in early February 2014, with a Grand Opening ceremony planned for either Feb 14th or 21st. If you have any suggestions about the ceremony, or if you know a local Chapter or Post of a VSO that would like to participate in the planning of this event, please contact me using the information at the bottom of this document.
Of the final construction items, here are our completion statistics:
o Ceiling tile 50%, Ceiling grid 98%,
o Drywall finishing 100%, Interior paint (2nd coat) 20%, Interior drywall 95%.
o Bath tile 98%, Floor tile 5%, Vinyl tile 40%, Carpet tile 15%
o Plumbing fixtures 50%, Cabinets 75%, Counter tops 50%
Currently, there continues to be an average of 23 veterans employed as part of the construction team.
Even with a few weather delays, we’re now at 55% complete. Roofing activities are complete, with all roof levels dried in. All interior concrete floor slabs are complete. And sheathing & base coating on exterior walls is also well under way. Sheathing of exterior walls is completed, and finish coating has started at NE corner. Installation of concrete curb, gutter and sidewalks continue, and we’ve started the asphalt for parking lots.
We’re planning for an early summer of 2014 opening of this clinic. As I mentioned for Golden, if you have any suggestions about the ceremony, or if you know a local Chapter or Post of a VSO that would like to participate in the planning of this event, please contact me using the information at the bottom of this document.
Lastly, an informal poll of subcontractors and other staff shows that our average is 6-15 Veterans employed on the different construction crews