VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
Psychology Internship & Residency Programs
Psychology Interns must be enrolled in an APA-approved clinical psychology program or in an APA-approved clinically-oriented counseling psychology program and must also be U.S. Citizens. As an equal opportunity training program, the Internship welcomes and strongly encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, age, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, disability or other minority status. As a generalist internship, we value applicants who have a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. Candidates with at least some formal assessment experience are preferred.
Applications are due November 1 each year. The internship start date is July 1 each year. If July 1 falls on a weekend, then the start date will be the first Monday after July 1.
Internship Program Accreditation
The doctoral internship at the Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver VA Medical Center is fully accredited by the American Psychological Association Commission on Accreditation (APA-CoA).
Questions related to the program's accreditation status should be directed to the APA Commission on Accreditation:
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
Michael Craine, PhD
APPIC Match Number:
General (4 slots)
Internship Applications Due:
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System (ECHCS), Denver is offering four Postdoctoral Residencies in Clinical Psychology for 2017-18:
Our aim is to train psychologists from a scientist-practitioner model with advanced skills and knowledge in evidence-based practice within the above specialty areas. This includes covering a common core of practice that includes integration of science and practice, ethical and legal standards, cultural diversity and individual differences, teaching and supervision, assessment and intervention, professional development, and interprofessional consultation. In these residencies, residents will spend 80% of their time providing clinical services with the remaining 20% effort allocated to a clinically-relevant project and other professional development activities.
To be considered for the ECHCS Psychology Postdoctoral Residency Program, an applicant must have completed all the requirements for the doctoral degree, including internship and dissertation. The Department of Veterans Affairs requires that the applicant’s doctoral degree and internship be completed at programs accredited by the American Psychological Association. Recent exceptions to this are as follows: (1) new VHA psychology internship programs that are in the process of applying for APA accreditation are acceptable in fulfillment of the internship requirement, provided that such programs were sanctioned by the VHA Central Office Program Director for Psychology and the VHA Central Office of Academic Affiliations at the time that the individual was an intern and (2) VHA facilities who offered full one-year pre-doctoral internships prior to PL 96-151 (pre-1979) are considered to be acceptable in fulfillment of the internship requirement. The VA ECHCS Psychology Residency Program looks carefully at these candidates to ensure the candidate has appropriate training in the special emphasis areas and may contact the site for clarification of training if necessary.
Other VA-wide eligibility requirements include:
The ECHCS Psychology Postdoctoral Residency Program actively supports and is in full compliance with the spirit and principle of Affirmative Action in the recruitment and selection of psychology residents. As an equal opportunity training program, the residency welcomes and strongly encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, disability or other minority status.
Residency Start Date:
The following materials must be submitted by December 15, 2017:
Three signed letters of recommendation, one of which must be from an internship supervisor.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Specific information & Contacts:
APPIC Number 9181
The VA ECHCS, Denver VAMC Postdoctoral Residency Program is not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association. An accreditation application is in process. ECHCS has an APA- accredited Psychology Pre-doctoral Internship Program, and the VISN 19 MIRECC located at ECHCS has an APA-accredited Postdoctoral Residency Program. Inquiries regarding the accreditation of this program may be directed to:
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
The VA ECHCS Psychology Postdoctoral Residency Program is a member of the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) and as such, is listed on the APPIC website http://www.appic.org/.
Psychology Postdoctoral Residency Training Director
Residency Applications Due: