VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
Eastern Colorado Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (EC-GRECC)
Eastern Colorado GRECC Investigators
14 August 2020
Marc Cornier, MD
- Title: Professor, Endocrinology
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Statement
I have been a clinical/translational researcher in the area of body weight regulation, obesity and metabolism for twenty years at the University of Colorado. Specifically, the goals of my research have been to:
1) investigate the complex regulation of food intake and appetite regulation and the effects of nutritional interventions on body weight and metabolic regulation;
2) better understand the effects of nutrition and exercise on energy balance and metabolism; and
3) ultimately translate this knowledge into better interventions to treat patients with obesity and other related diseases such as type 2 diabetes.
- Specifically, I have been examining the effects of phenotypes and interventions, including nutritional and exercise, on the neuronal, behavioral, and hormonal responses to food and food-related stimuli and on whole body and tissue specific insulin action and signaling. I am also studying the impact of aging on body weight regulation. My group is also examining the effects of meal timing on weight loss outcomes.
Halliday TM, Rynders CA, Thomas E, Bergouignan A, Pan Z, Kealey EH, Cornier MA, Bessesen DH. Appetite-Related Responses to Overfeeding and Longitudinal Weight Change in Obesity-Prone and Obesity-Resistant Adults. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2020 02; 28(2):259-267.
Giles ED, Brown IL, MacLean PS, Pan Z, Melanson EL, Heard KJ, Cornier MA, Marden T, Higgins JA. The In Vivo Net Energy Content of Resistant Starch and Its Effect on Macronutrient Oxidation in Healthy Adults. Nutrients. 2019 Oct 16; 11(10).
Shomaker LB, Berman Z, Burke M, Annameier SK, Pivarunas B, Sanchez N, Smith AD, Hendrich S, Riggs NR, Legget KT, Cornier MA, Melby C, Johnson SA, Lucas-Thompson R. Mindfulness-based group intervention in adolescents at-risk for excess weight gain: A randomized controlled pilot study. Appetite. 2019 09 01; 140:213-222.
Halliday TM, Polsky S, Schoen JA, Legget KT, Tregellas JR, Williamson KM, Cornier MA. Comparison of surgical versus diet-induced weight loss on appetite regulation and metabolic health outcomes. Physiol Rep. 2019 04; 7(7):e14048.