VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
Eastern Colorado Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (EC-GRECC)
Eastern Colorado GRECC Investigators
9 September 2020
Hillary D. Lum, MD, PhD
- Title: Associate Professor, Geriatric Medicine
- Contact: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Statement
As a Board-certified geriatrician, palliative medicine physician, and clinician scientist, I am dedicated to improving advance care planning and quality of life for older adults with serious illnesses. I have been continuously funded since 2013, including through the National Institute on Aging Beeson Emerging Leaders Career Development K76 Award. My work focuses on designing and testing the effectiveness of new advance care planning strategies to improve patient-centered outcomes. I have clinical experience as a primary care geriatrician and research expertise in advance care planning, qualitative methods and implementation science.
- My work includes the stakeholder-engaged design and efficacy testing of the Engaging in Advance Care Planning Talks (ENACT) Group Visits intervention in six primary care clinics, inclusive of individuals with cognitive impairment. I also led the refinement of the ENACT Group Visits intervention for individuals with amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment, a population that is at high risk for developing Alzheimer’s Disease. As an early stage investigator, evidence of my growing independence can be seen through funding from the National Institute on Aging, Department of Veterans Affairs, National Palliative Care Research Center, NextFifty Initiative, and the Colorado Health Foundation. As evidence of my leadership in team science, I have published more than 50 studies in geriatrics, palliative care and primary care.
Sokol LL, Lum HD, Creutzfeldt CJ, et al. Meaning and Dignity Therapies for Psychoneurology in Neuropalliative Care: A Vision for the Future. J Palliat Med. 2020;23(9):1155-1156. doi:10.1089/jpm.2020.0129
Lum HD, Dukes J, Daddato AE, Juarez-Colunga E, Shanbhag P, Kutner JS, Levy CR, Sudore RL. Effectiveness of Advance Care Planning Group Visits Among Older Adults in Primary Care. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 Jul 29.
Portz JD, Brungardt A, Shanbhag P, Staton EW, Bose-Brill S, Lin CT, Kutner JS, Lum HD. Advance care planning among users of a patient portal during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A retrospective observational study. J Med Internet Res. 2020 Jul 24.
Nearing KA, Lum HD, Dang S, Powers B, McLaren J, Gately M, Hung W, Moo L. National Geriatric Network Rapidly Addresses Trainee Telehealth Needs in Response to COVID-19. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 Jul 08.
Lum HD, Padala KP, Dean KT, Padala PR. Psychogeriatric research during COVID-19 pandemic: qualitative analysis of participant views. Int Psychogeriatr. 2020 Jun 11; 1-4.
Portz JD, Lum HD, Bull S, Boxer RS, Bekelman DB, Ford KL, Gleason K, Casillas A, Bayliss EA. Perceptions of Patient Portal Use for Advance Directive Documentation among Older Adults with Multiple Chronic Conditions. J Soc Work End Life Palliat Care. 2020 Jun 01; 1-12.
Arora K, Qualls SH, Bobitt J, Lum HD, Milavetz G, Croker J, Kaskie B. Measuring Attitudes Toward Medical and Recreational Cannabis Among Older Adults in Colorado. Gerontologist. 2020 May 15; 60(4):e232-e241.
Sokol LL, Hauser JM, Lum HD, Forlizzi J, Cerf M, Caprio FZ, Young MJ. Goal-Concordant Care in the Era of Advanced Stroke Therapies. J Palliat Med. 2020 May 14.
Daddato AE, Griff M, Shanbhag P, Hickman SE, Lum HD. Appropriate Use of Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment in the Outpatient Setting. J Palliat Med. 2020 Apr; 23(4):449-450.
Jones CD, Nearing KA, Burke RE, Lum HD, Boxer RS, Stevens-Lapsley JE, Ozkaynak M, Levy CR. "What Would It Take to Transform Post-Acute Care?" 2019 Conference Proceedings on Re-envisioning Post-Acute Care. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020 Mar 16.
Jordan SR, Kluger B, Ayele R, Brungardt A, Hall A, Jones J, Katz M, Miyasaki JM, Lum HD. Optimizing future planning in Parkinson disease: suggestions for a comprehensive roadmap from patients and care partners. Ann Palliat Med. 2020 Feb; 9(Suppl 1):S63-S74.
Fink RM, Kline DM, Bailey FA, Handel DL, Jordan SR, Lum HD, Fischer SM. Community-Based Conversations about Advance Care Planning for Underserved Populations Using Lay Patient Navigators. J Palliat Med. 2020 Jul; 23(7):907-914.
Sokol LL, Young MJ, Paparian J, Kluger BM, Lum HD, Besbris J, Kramer NM, Lang AE, Espay AJ, Dubaz OM, Miyasaki JM, Matlock DD, Simuni T, Cerf M. Advance care planning in Parkinson's disease: ethical challenges and future directions. NPJ Parkinsons Dis. 2019; 5:24.
Brungardt A, Daddato AE, Parnes B, Lum HD. Use of an Ambulatory Patient Portal for Advance Care Planning Engagement. J Am Board Fam Med. 2019 Nov-Dec; 32(6):925-930.
Nowels D, Nowels MA, Sheffler JL, Kunihiro S, Lum HD. Features of U.S. Primary Care Physicians and Their Practices Associated with Advance Care Planning Conversations. J Am Board Fam Med. 2019 Nov-Dec; 32(6):835-846.
Callister C, Jones J, Schroeder S, Breathett K, Dollar B, Sanghvi UJ, Harnke B, Lum HD, Jones CD. Caregiver Experiences of Care Coordination for Recently Discharged Patients: A Qualitative Metasynthesis. West J Nurs Res. 2020 Aug; 42(8):649-659.
Lum HD. Medical Cannabis in Palliative Care: Meaningful Additions to the Research Evidence. J Palliat Med. 2019 10; 22(10):1173-1174.
Pimentel CB, Gately M, Barczi SR, Boockvar KS, Bowman EH, Caprio TV, Colón-Emeric CS, Dang S, Espinoza SE, Garner KK, Griffiths PC, Howe JL, Lum HD, Markland AD, Rossi MI, Thielke SM, Valencia-Rodrigo WM, Moo LR, Hung WW. GRECC Connect: Geriatrics Telehealth to Empower Health Care Providers and Improve Management of Older Veterans in Rural Communities. Fed Pract. 2019 Oct; 36(10):464-470.
DiGuiseppi CG, Smith AA, Betz ME, Hill L, Lum HD, Andrews H, Leu CS, Hyde HA, Eby DW, Li G. Cannabis use in older drivers in Colorado: The LongROAD Study. Accid Anal Prev. 2019 Nov; 132:105273.
Lum HD, Kluger BM. Palliative Care for Parkinson Disease. Clin Geriatr Med. 2020 Feb; 36(1):149-157.
Hickman SE, Vandenbroucke A, Carney J, Sandler V, Lum HD, Hammes BJ. Artificial Nutrition Belongs on POLST. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019 09; 67(9):1985-1987.
Gustavson AM, Drake C, Lakin A, Daddato AE, Falvey JR, Capell W, Lum HD, Jones CD, Unroe KT, Towsley GL, Stevens-Lapsley JE, Levy CR, Boxer RS. Conducting Clinical Research in Post-acute and Long-term Nursing Home Care Settings: Regulatory Challenges. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019 07; 20(7):798-803.
Bobitt J, Qualls SH, Schuchman M, Wickersham R, Lum HD, Arora K, Milavetz G, Kaskie B. Qualitative Analysis of Cannabis Use Among Older Adults in Colorado. Drugs Aging. 2019 07; 36(7):655-666.
Daddato AE, Dollar B, Lum HD, Burke RE, Boxer RS. Identifying Patient Readmissions: Are Our Data Sources Misleading? J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019 08; 20(8):1042-1044.
Cutshall NR, Kwan BM, Salmi L, Lum HD. "It Makes People Uneasy, but It's Necessary. #BTSM": Using Twitter to Explore Advance Care Planning among Brain Tumor Stakeholders. J Palliat Med. 2020 01; 23(1):121-124.
Candrian C, Lasker Hertz S, Matlock D, Flanagan L, Tate C, Kutner JS, Lum HD. Development of a Community Advance Care Planning Guides Program and the RELATE Model of Communication. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2020 Jan; 37(1):5-11.
Lum HD, Arora K, Croker JA, Qualls SH, Schuchman M, Bobitt J, Milavetz G, Kaskie B. Patterns of Marijuana Use and Health Impact: A Survey Among Older Coloradans. Gerontol Geriatr Med. 2019 Jan-Dec; 5:2333721419843707.
Lum HD, Jordan SR, Brungardt A, Ayele R, Katz M, Miyasaki JM, Hall A, Jones J, Kluger B. Framing advance care planning in Parkinson disease: Patient and care partner perspectives. Neurology. 2019 05 28; 92(22):e2571-e2579.
Jordan SR, Brungardt A, Phimphasone-Brady P, Lum HD. Patient Perspectives on Advance Care Planning via a Patient Portal. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2019 Aug; 36(8):682-687.
Fink RM, Somes E, Brackett H, Shanbhag P, Anderson AN, Lum HD. Evaluation of Quality Improvement Initiatives to Improve and Sustain Advance Care Planning Completion and Documentation. J Hosp Palliat Nurs. 2019 02; 21(1):71-79.
Lum HD, Brungardt A, Jordan SR, Phimphasone-Brady P, Schilling LM, Lin CT, Kutner JS. Design and Implementation of Patient Portal-Based Advance Care Planning Tools. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019 01; 57(1):112-117.e2.
Presentation & Media
- Poster: Formal Training in Telehealth Uniquely Prepares an Interdisciplinary Workforce in Geriatrics and Gerontology
- 14 November 2019 - Eastern Colorado GRECC PIs, Kathryn A. Nearing, PhD, Hillary D. Lum, MD, PhD, Skotti Church, MD along with Janna Hardland, MD and Stephanie Hartz, LCSW, BCD, presented this poster at The Gerontological Society of America's 71st Annual Scientific Meeting, taking place in Austin, Texas from November 13 - 17 , 2019. Eastern Colorado GRECC Connect integrates Associated Health Trainees (Audiology, Psychology, Social Work, Pharmacy) and Geriatric Medicine Fellows into interdisciplinary tele-geriatric and tele-palliative care consultations provided to outlying community-based outpatient clinics. During exit interviews, trainees indicated that these experiences offered unique opportunities to develop their clinical skills, particularly related to active listening and communication. They identified their involvement with GRECC Connect as a highly valued aspect of their Geriatrics training. Rigorous training in telehealth is an essential aspect of workforce development in Geriatrics and Gerontology given the concentration of older adults in rural areas.
Podcast: Access to Care Rounds
Listen as Kathryn Nearing, PhD, MA, Associate Director for Education and Evaluation for EC GRECC, discusses the model with Hillary Lum, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Geriatric Medicine, and project coordinator Courtney Bauers.
Access to Care Infographic
Our team created this infographic to help understand our work. Download the complete infographic as a PDF.
Colorado Veteran Community Partnership
The Colorado Veteran Community Partnership was established in July 2017.
Mission – Improve quality of care for Veterans and their families through committed partnerships focused on improving VA-community connections for Colorado Veterans.
Learn more about Veteran Community Partnerships
The Colorado Veteran Community Partnership works closely with community partners. Joining Community Forces is an excellent source for Colorado resources, upcoming events and networking. Learn more at: http://coloradojcf.org/