VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
Eastern Colorado Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (EC-GRECC)
Veteran Community Partnership
16 November 2020
- Connecting with the VA (We are glad you are here!) by Beth Bernard, LCSW & Hillary Lum, MD, PhD
- This presentation will help you:
1. Identify the steps needed to enroll in VA services and recognize the differences between the Veterans Health Administration, Veterans Benefit Administration, and the National Cemetery Association
2. Describe VA Geriatrics and Extended Care Services and identify eligibility criteria for VA Contract Nursing Homes
3. Identify opportunities for proactive case management and care coordination with VA Providers
4. Describe VA benefits including Aid & Attendance, Non-Service-Connected Pension, and what “Service Connection” means when requesting Veteran services.
- Additional resources:
· Dental Resources - Included in this packet is information on free dental services for Veterans and family members, low-cost clinics and lower-cost dental insurance programs for Veterans. Download Dental Resources
· Guide to Housing Programs - Healthcare for Homeless Veterans Program. Download Guide to Housing Programs
· VA PACT Social Workers - A Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) involves each Veteran working together with health care professionals to plan for the whole-person care and life-long health and wellness. Download VA PACT Social Workers
· Important Phone Numbers - includes phone numbers for billing questions, if you have to go to a non-VA hospital for service (you need to let the VA know within 72 hours or you might be billed), benefits questions, and social work services. Download Important Phone Numbers
· AGENCY RESOURCES THAT WILL ASSIST VETERANS TO FILE A SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY CLAIM - a list of area agencies that will assist Veterans with disability claims. Download AGENCY RESOURCES THAT WILL ASSIST VETERANS TO FILE A SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY CLAIM
· Map of Rocky Mountain Regional VAMC
- VA Dementia Care Team Resource Guide
- This comprehensive guide compiled by the Dementia Care Team covers subjects from Brain Health Tips and Tricks to important phone numbers to resources such as VA Geriatric Extended Care Servicesy, Medicaid Long Term Care, finding alternative care options and day-to-day help.
Download VA Dementia Care Team Resource Guide
- Veterans’ Guide to Mental Health Services at VA Eastern CO Health Care System
- This guide was developed by the Denver-based Voices for Veterans Mental Health Council and the Mental Health Service of the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System. We hope you find this guide useful! The guide includes phone numbers for all 12 VA clinics, answers to what to do in the event of a mental health crisis, information for those new to our region, resources for Veterans experiencing or at risk homelessness and much more.
Download Veterans’ Guide to Mental Health Services at VA Eastern CO Health Care System
- VA Caregiver Support: Expanded Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC)
- The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) provides qualifying Family Caregivers of eligible Veterans certain benefits, such as training, respite care, counseling, technical support, certain beneficiary travel benefits, a monthly stipend payment, and access to health care (if qualified) through the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA).
- The program will expand PCAFC eligibility to include eligible Veterans who incurred or aggravated a serious injury in the line of duty in the active military, naval, or air service on or before May 7, 1975. Currently PCAFC eligibility is for Veterans who sustained or aggravated a serious injury in the line of duty on or after 9/11/2001. In the next 2 years eligibility will expand to all Veterans who are in need of personal care services based on either:
1) an inability to perform an activity of daily living (ADL) or;
2) need supervision, protection, or instruction.
- To learn more about this program and the services that are provided please visit the VA Caregiver Support: Expanded Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) website.
Telemedicine for Older Adults during COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons Learned from Rural Telemedicine Project (GRECC Connect)
This site has a full page resources including:
- The recording of the webinar: Practical Tips for Telehealth for Older Rural Adults, with panel Q&A
- Quick Technology Screening Tool for VA Video Connect vs Telephone Visit
- Trainee Assessments
- Tips for Caregivers During COVID-19
- and much, much more!
Download: Tips for Caregivers During COVID-19 - added 12 May 2020
Download: Providers: How to Help Dementia Caregivers During Social Distancing - added 12 May 2020
- VCP CO November 2020 Newsletter
- 30 October 2020 - Highlights: VCP Networking Call-National Caregiver Month, Thursday, 5 November 2020, noon-1:00PM.
Advance Care Planning Visits and learn more about in-person and online information.
Open the November 2020 newsletter for all the information.
- VCP CO October 2020 Newsletter
- 2 October 2020 - Highlights: Colorado Statewide Virtual VA Community Mental Health Summit
Wednesday, October 7th, 9AM-3:30PM MT
Joining Community Forces Quarterly Meeting
Wednesday, October 21st, 9-Noon MT
Open the October 2020 newsletter for all the information.
- VCP CO September 2020 Newsletter
- 3 September 2020 - The VCP CO September 2020 Newsletter is now available online. Highlights this month:
Practical Approaches to Race-Based Stress and Trauma in Older Adults - Thursday, September 17, 12:00PM-1:30PM MT
VCP Networking Call: Suicide Prevention - Friday, September 25, 10:00AM-11:00AM MT
Veteran Suicide Prevention & Recovery in the Face of COVID-19 - Tuesday, September 22, 9:30AM-3:00PM MT
Open the September 2020 newsletter for all the information.
Colorado Veteran Community Partnership
The Colorado Veteran Community Partnership was established in July 2017.
Mission – Improve quality of care for Veterans and their families through committed partnerships focused on improving VA-community connections for Colorado Veterans.
Learn more about Veteran Community Partnerships
The Colorado Veteran Community Partnership works closely with community partners. Joining Community Forces is an excellent source for Colorado resources, upcoming events and networking. Learn more at: http://coloradojcf.org/
Join Colorado Veteran Community Partnership
If you are interested in joining Colorado Veteran Community Partnership simply send an email to email@example.com and in the subject line write Join VCP. Thanks!