VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
. . . Changing Lives through Recreation Therapy and Creative Arts Therapies
The Recreation Therapy Service is responsible for national policies related to Recreation Therapy and the Creative Arts Therapies (art, dance, drama, and music). The Service collaborates and cooperates with other services within the VHA and community partner organizations. These efforts promote and ensure an exceptional level of care and high quality services for all Veterans as reflected in the I-CARE Core Values. The service coordinates programs and services for VHA Recreation Therapists and Creative Arts Therapists to enhance and improve their knowledge, skill, and ability. Through these efforts, the Service reaffirms the mission.
The purpose of the Recreational Therapy process is to improve or maintain physical, cognitive, social, emotional and spiritual functioning to facilitate full participation in life. Services are provided by a “Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist” (CTRS).
Recreational therapy includes, but is not limited to, providing treatment services and recreation activities to individuals using a variety of techniques including arts and crafts, animals, sports, games, dance and movement, drama, music, and community outings. Recreational therapists treat and help maintain the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of their clients by seeking to reduce depression, stress, and anxiety; recover basic motor functioning and reasoning abilities; build confidence; and socialize effectively. Recreational therapists should not be confused with recreation workers, who organize recreational activities primarily for enjoyment.
What programs are available to you as outpatient?
- Adaptive sports
- National Veteran Events
- National Veterans Golden Age Games- 55 and older
- National Wheelchair Games- Spinal Cord Injury, Multiple Sclerosis, Amputations and other central neurological impairments
- National Winter Sports Clinic- Spinal Cord Injuries, Multiple Sclerosis, Traumatic Brain Injury, CVA with Residual, Orthopedic Amputations, Visual Impairments
- National Creative Arts Festival
- Community Leisure/Recreation Education and connection
Learn more about Recreation Therapy/ Creative Arts at the Department of Veterans Affairs (National Program)
- About Us / Contact Us
- Who We Serve / How We Serve
- VA Recreation Therapy / Creative Arts Therapy
- Medical Condition/Population Served
- Fact Sheets
- VA Recreation Therapy and Creative Arts Therapy Careers
Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center
Hours of Operation
- 7:30am - 4:00pm