VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
About the Program
The ECHCS Research Service aspires to discover knowledge, develop VA researchers and health care leaders, and create innovations that advance health care for Veterans and the nation. Here at the Eastern Colorado Medical Center Research Service, we strive to provide veterans with the opportunity to participate in and benefit from the continuing search for knowledge through research. Our goal is to use research in order to promote better health and healthcare for all.
Major areas of biomedical laboratory and clinical sciences research include:
- Acute & Chronic Kidney Disease
- Burn Trauma
- Health Services Research
- Infectious Diseases
- Mental Health & Suicide Prevention
- Oncology & Hematology
- Psychiatry & Psychology
- Substance Abuse/Alternatives to Opioids
Affiliates & Programs
- COIN: This Center's mission is to conduct outstanding health services research that promotes Veteran-centered and value-driven care, generate and disseminate knowledge that contributes to the well-being of Veterans, partner with VA policy and operational leaders to implement research findings into clinical care, and train the next generation of health services researchers and leaders.
- COMIRB: The Colorado Multiple Institutional Review Board is an administrative body established to protect the rights and welfare of human research subjects recruited to participate in research activities conducted under the auspices of the University of Colorado Denver and its affiliates: Children's Hospital Colorado, Denver Health and Hospital Authority, University of Colorado Hospital, and the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System.
- Denver Research Institute: Denver Research Institute (DRI), founded in 1997, serves as the non-profit organization affiliated with the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System. It is dedicated to research and its associated educational and scientific endeavors. DRI complements the health and medical care of veterans by enhancing the intellectual viability of the hospital and providing new and innovative treatments. DRI is especially useful to investigators in the pre- and post-award assistance and management, and clinical trial management.
- GRECC: The research focus of the Eastern Colorado GRECC (ECHS) includes the consequences and treatments of obesity in Veterans, gender differences in health care with special emphasis on bone health and architecture, rehabilitation following knee replacement or amputation and palliative care/end-of-life decision-making.
- MIRECC: The mission of the Rocky Mountain MIRECC is to study suicide with the goal of reducing suicidal ideation and behaviors in the Veteran population. Towards this end, the work of the Rocky Mountain MIRECC is focused on promising clinical interventions, as well as the cognitive and neurobiological underpinnings of suicidal thoughts and behaviors that may lead to innovative prevention strategies.
1700 N Wheeling ST
Aurora, CO 80045
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm