Employee Information - VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
EBenefits Badge

Employee Information

Research ADPACs

Adriana Herald
Dustin Howard


General Employee FAQs

Note: Click on the linked heading text to expand or collapse accordion panels.

After the application has been signed by all required parties (including the Research Service Administrative Officer), submitted to, and approved by Human Resources.

Two valid forms of personal identification, that are listed in the 'Employment Eligibility Verification" (or Federal Form I-9) are required when going to pick up your VA Identification Badge. Acceptable forms of personal ID (must be current and valid) include driver's license & passport, driver's license and Social Security Card, or driver's license and birth certificate.

You must first have a scheduled appointment, arranged with/by Adriana Herald or Dustin Howard (ADPACs for Research). PIV/Badging is located at the RMR VAMC, Building A, 2nd Floor 13611 E Colfax, Aurora CO 80045.

Yes, the Research ADPACs can assist you with the required forms and access.

Yes, all staff, contractors or WOC employees must have an ID badge for VA security purposes.

Yes, your VA Identification Badge expires every three years (an expiration date is printed on current IDs). Your badge will also lose access to secure locations that requiring a VA badge for entry.

The VA ECHCS Research Service ADPACs will submit a request for you. You will then be emailed your codes. The Research Service ADPACs can help you set up access.

You must have a valid VA identification badge before codes will be provided by IRMS.

Whomever your Primary Investigator (or Administrator) designates. Examples include:

  • Your Primary Investigator
  • Study Coordinator
  • Research Service Administrative Officer

Yes, It is a requirement of the VA that ALL staff and contractors, regardless of their status or location of employment, to complete all mandatory training yearly.

NO, only VA supplied computers are allowed to be hooked up to the VA's internet or intranet.

NO, only VA supplied computer equipment is allowed to be hooked up to a VA's computer. If a non-VA created CD/DVD or unencrypted flash drive needs to be hooked up to a VA computer then bring it either to OI &T, they will assist in getting the information onto the VA's system properly.

An official purchase request stating the specific equipment (by name or specific equipment type), what it will be used for, and the specific EIL that will be used to pay for the equipment must be emailed to the Administrative Officer of the VA ECHCS Research Service. This includes computer, furniture, and scientific equipment.

It will be delivered to your research area's mail room, located at:

  • Bldg B: 1st Floor
  • Bldg A: 3rd Floor
  • Bldg P: Reception

Before leaving the VA permanently, you must finish the VA Exit process; contact your Research Service ADPAC for further information. There are specific forms that MUST be completed.

Even employees who do not have routine or regular access to patient data are required to complete annual training. There are numerous reasons why the required training is mandatory. During your day-to-day work you may hear confidential information or find confidential information that was lost (or misplaced). You are responsible for ensuring that confidentiality of veteran information in any of these or similar situations. This is federal property with veteran patients - it is very important to follow the standard operating procedures which include reviewing all mandatory training modules annually and renewing your WOC appointment every three years.

Yes. VA employees and WOCs are given access to park in VA designated parking.

Anyone whose check comes directly paid by the VA hospital and not some other agency.

Full name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, SSN, Start Date, Job Title, Supervisor name, Supervisor phone, Additional contact info, Gender, Height, Weight, Eye color, Hair color, Race.

See the VATAS SharePoint site. (NOTE: VA login requred)

Guidance to timekeeping for Research:

  • Pay periods are 2 weeks = 26 PP per year.
  • Every employee’s Tour of Duty (TOD), AKA your work schedule, is entered into the VATAS system by the timekeeper (Adriana Herald or Dustin Howard).
  • The timekeeper will send you a time card every OTHER Monday (pay day Friday is week 1 of the pay period, they will send an email on Monday, week 2).
  • You only submit a time card to the timekeeper if you have Over Time or Comp Time Earned to report (time worked outside your TOD).
  • You enter your own leave into VATAS. The first time you need to request leave, let the timekeeper know and they can help you.
  • The timekeeper completes your timecard in VATAS – it is due Thursday, noon, week 2 – per the TOD that is attached to your VATAS profile.
  • You can use VATAS to look at leave balances/time used and official Tour of Duty. To see more of your payroll details, you will want to set up an account at MyPay website.

WOC means 'With Out Compensation'. Anyone whose check comes from some other agency than the VA hospital yet workswith VA data or patients, such as:

  • Denver Research Institute (or DRI) Employee
  • UCHSC (or other University) Employee working at the VA
  • A Temporary Contractors and Employees
  • Other Hospital Employees working at the VA

Please ask your Research investigator to contact the Research ADPACs for the proper forms: Adriana Herald: Adriana.Herald@va.gov or Dustin Howard: Dustin.Howard@va.govv

The process can start one of two ways: in person with one of our ADPACs, or on your own with the link and instructions. You do need to be able to print. Start at the following website: http://dri-va.org/WOC/wocWiz.php .

  • Please print every page it prompts you to print
  • Many of those pages need to be signed by you (the WOC/employee)
  • WOC application attestation
  • Computer access request form
  • 17a of the Declaration for Federal Employment
  • First page of the I-9
  • Patient Abuse acknowledgment (signature page only)
  • Rules of Behavior acknowledgment (signature page only)
  • Employee/Patient Relationships acknowledgment (signature page only)
  • Intellectual Property Agreement
  • Scope of Research Practice
  • Once all pages have been printed and signed, everything needs to either be scanned and emailed to the ADPAC encrypted OR faxed to the ADPAC at 720-723-6014, which is a secure fax. Whether you scan and email or fax the completed application, please do so at the highest possible resolution.
    The resolution needs to be high because these documents will be scanned several more times and each time the clarity of the scan is degraded further, so best to start with a highest resolution possible. If you have another idea to get the completed application to the ADPAC saftely, please reach out to one of our ADPACs.
  • The ADPAC will review what has been submitted and follow up with any corrections or requests for additional information
  • The ADPAC will gather all other required signatures – PI, Chief of Staff, Administrative Officer, HR, etc.

To receive privileges at the VAMC including being covered by Worker's Compensation or malpractice insurance.

It is the policy of the VA to renew WOC appointments every three years.

Yes, please check the expiration date on your WOC letter and make a calendar reminder to contact the research ADPAC 30 days prior to your WOC expiration date to begin the renewal process.



ECHCS Research Service
1700 N Wheeling St.
Aurora, CO 80045